I roast chicken and vegetables on my grill but this recipe will work just as well in an oven. The chicken comes out with crispy skin and a juicy interior and the vegetables nicely caramelized.
I place the chicken on its own sheet pan and the vegetables on a second. They go onto the grill side by side. In about 30 minutes I have a piping hot meal on the table.
- 1 whole chicken
- fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, flat leaf parsley)
- coconut oil spray
- carrots, cauliflower, red/purple cabbage, leeks, brussel sprouts
- quarter the chicken and cut out backbone, place all pieces on sheet pan
- season chicken pieces with salt, pepper and fresh herbs
- liberally spray chicken with coconut oil spray
- cut vegetables and place onto second sheet pan
- spray vegetables with coconut oil and season with salt and pepper, toss to coat
- place both sheet pans on grill or in oven set at a temperature of 400 F
- flip chicken after about 15 minutes and shuffle veg
- in another 15 minutes check on progress of chicken and veg
- cook until chicken juices run clear and skin is crispy
- cook veg until fork-tender and nicely caramelized but not charred
- remove chicken from grill and let rest for 5 minutes while plating veg
- serve chicken & veg
- for the chicken, feel free to omit any of the herbs or use what you have on hand such as cajun or jerk seasoning or simply season with salt and pepper
- almost any combination of vegetables will work, in addition to those above try parsnips, spring onions, potatoes, yams, broccoli, onions, garlic etc.
- use the drippings in the sheet pan to make a quick pan gravy
- serve with a hunk of crusty bread to sop up the chicken juices